The Richard J. Daley Center (originally known as The Chicago Civic Center) was designed in the International Style architectural style by Jacques Brownson of C.F.Murphy Associates, in conjunction with Loebl, Schlossman & Bennett and Skidmore, Owings & Merill LLP (SOM).
Jacques Brownson was born in 1923 in Aurora, Illinois. He studied architecture under Mies van der Rohe at the Illinois Institute of Technology where he earned his B.S. in 1948 and his M.S. in 1954. Brownson’s work was brought to national attention when he built his own home, a house of glass, in Geneva, Illinois for his master’s thesis. He worked for various architects in Chicago before starting his own firm in 1955 with Bruno Conterato, another student of Mies van der Rohe. In 1959 he joined Naess & Murphy (later C.F. Murphy Associates) where he worked for six years, during which time he designed the award-winning Richard J. Daley Center.
For more information please visit:The Art Institute of Chicago® by URL: www.artic.edu/aicSOM.com by URL: http://www.som.com/content.cfm/chicago_civic_center